An ability is a trait that describes what a unit is or can do. Units may acquire more abilities when they advance in experience level. Abilities may confer advantages or disadvantages, last temporarily or permanently, or be acquired or innate.
Abilities can be gained in the following ways.
- Every unit starts with a set of innate abilities. For heroes these abilities are dependent on their race; for other units it's dependent on the type of unit.
- Units may acquire more abilities when they advance in experience level. Heroes may choose which abilities are acquired, while other units acquire abilities based purely on their experience level and unit type.
- Certain spells may confer abilities, particularly enchantments.
- Some structures grant temporary abilities.
- Items can grant special abilities to heroes.
- Some damage types confer negative abilities on successful hits.