A hero is a special unit with the freedom to choose which abilities to learn and stats to improve when they advance in experience level. Whereas traditional units can only advance in level twice, a hero advances five times before achieving their maximum level.
Heroes cost 5 plus 2 for each level of the hero in upkeep per turn.
There are several reasons a hero might join a cause:
- Each cause starts with one leader, who is a hero.
- As a leader acquires fame, a hero may offer to join as a random event.
- Heroes may offer to join when freed from dungeons.
- A hero can be summoned through the Call Hero spell.
- A hero can be resurrected or reanimated through spells.